- Jointly appointed as Administrator for Quick-Sure Insurance Limited a regulated insurance company.
- Currently appointed as Liquidator of Trinity Lane Holdings Company Limited which is the holding company of a regulated insurance company.
Formerly appointed as Liquidator of the following regulated companies after the surrender of their license:
- Artex Services 1 Limited (insurance manager)
- Artex Services 2 Limited (company manager)
- Derwent Limited (insurance company)
- Lighthouse General Insurance Company Limited (insurance company)
- Lighthouse Life Assurance Company Limited (insurance company)
Formerly dealt with several insolvent liquidations when employed at Grant Thornton (Gibraltar) Limited including the following insurance companies:
- Eurolife Assurance International Limited -a life assurance company dealing with the preparation of reports to creditors and the declaration of a dividend to the estate of the policyholders.
- Lemma Insurance Company Limited- a general insurer who wrote a large portion of Solicitors PI insurance dealing with the disclaimer of policies, return of premium claims, liaising closely with Karl Jeffries of the Financial Services Compensation Scheme(“FSCS”), dealing with the claims handlers Quest Consulting Limited (“ Quest”), preparing & assisting during interviews held at Stephenson & Hardwood in London with former directors, considering claims against directors, assisting Glen Davis QC from South Square Chambers including forensic examination of documentation for disclosure purposes, assisting with recoveries of unearned premium from brokers.
- Enterprise Insurance Company Limited- a motor insurer who wrote a multi-line mixed portfolio of insurance business dealing with notifications to policyholders & brokers, disclaimer of policies, investigating the causes of the company’s failures, dealing with retained staff, liaising closely with the FSCS, considering claims against Directors, liaising with Quest, considering actuarial reviews as well as contracts of reinsurance including meetings with the reinsurers.
About James Oton
James graduated with an LLB (Hons) in Law from the Nottingham Trent University, in England. He completed his Bar Professional Studies at the University of the West of England Bristol in 2009. James is a member of the Honourable Society of the Inner Temple and was called to the Bar of England and Wales in 2009 and the Bar of Gibraltar in 2010. He is currently undertain.
James’ working life started in the gaming sector where he worked in the fraud department of one of Gibraltar’s largest gaming companies. He was then head hunted to work for one of the world’s leading independent assurance and advisory firms to deal almost exclusively with the authorised administration of a large prominent Gibraltar law firm, company and trust services provider following the revocation of its financial services licence and has been involved in specialist investigatory assignments on behalf of the Gibraltar regulator.
James is a corporate and commercial lawyer with over 10 years experience specialising in Insolvency and is fully conversant with the Insolvency Act and Rules. Having held an unrestricted license to act as an Insolvency Practitioner by the Gibraltar regulator he has and continues to act as liquidator in a number of solvent liquidations.
He has advised on complex restructuring transactions, claims against directors for negligence working with Queens Counsel instructed on the high profile insolvency cases. Further he has dealt with fixed charged receiverships over real estate assets gaining experience in landlord and tenant matters.
Currently james is undertaking the Professional Dipolma in Competence in Gibraltar Financial Services with a view to broaden his scope of knowledge in the Financial Services industry.