South District Business Rebirth


The southern end of Main Street is set for a renaissance.

At the end of January 2014 landowner, Southport Properties Group exchanged a lease of the old Lloyds Bank premises with the Gibraltar Savings Bank. Lloyds had been on the premises since 1986 under a lease settled by the youthful Charles Gomez which was then widely considered to be groundbreaking and the trendsetter for business tenancies in Gibraltar.

As Lloyds retrenched into High Net Worth client banking it ceased its “high street” operations and set up another branch in Ocean Village. Its lease at 323 Main Street ended on the 31st January 2014. The efforts of the Charles Gomez & Co property department’s Fast Track team including Corrine Bossino and Tracey Coyne were able to secure a new AAA covenant in the form of the GSB for the very day after the old Lloyds lease had lapsed.

Now the Gibraltar Savings Bank (established 1886) will be joined by the international accountancy practice PriceWaterhouseCoopers which has acquired premises two doors away and the new Gibraltar International Bank which it has been reported will take over the old Cool Blues buildings across the street next to the John Mackintosh Hall. Already in the area are the Income Tax office and the Turicum Bank making the neighbourhood of the ancient Southport Gates another busy district of the City of Gibraltar.


SHARE THIS NEWS ARTICLE: 

COPY THE URL